W.A. Chester is the industry-leading electrical contractor for installation, maintenance and repair of underground high voltage cable transmission and distribution systems. Our clients are the nation's electric utility companies and independent power producers. We work throughout the United States and Canada and are one of three specialty contractors performing this type of work on a national basis. In addition to underground systems, W.A. Chester has expanded its services to include installation, maintenance and repair of overhead electric distribution cable systems.
Our project managers, field supervisors, welders, splicers and other key personnel as well as our specialized equipment and vehicles are based at our field offices and yards in Washington, D.C. and Charles Town, WV. From these locations, we dispatch our personnel, equipment and vehicles to projects across the country.
W.A. Chester began as the Henry Ihle Company, which was founded in Canada in the 1930's. Mr. Ihle moved the Company to Flushing, New York, around 1940 and was very active installing underground cable systems for the local utility company and in the New York City subway system. The Company was sold to Mr. Chester in 1955 and re-named W. A. Chester, Inc. In 1973, the Company was purchased by Fischbach & Moore, Inc., and operated as a wholly owned subsidiary and division until the summer of 1994 when it became a division of Fischbach Power Services, Inc. On January 1, 1996, the W.A. Chester division of Fischbach Power Services was acquired as W.A. Chester, L.L.C. (W.A. Chester) by Pepco Enterprises, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO), now PEPCO Holdings, Inc. In 2000, W.A. Chester, L.L.C. formed a wholly owned subsidiary W.A. Chester Corporation and another in 2006, Chester Transmission Construction Canada, Inc., to work in certain jurisdictions. In 2016, W.A. Chester became an Exelon company through the merger of PEPCO Holdings, Inc. and Exelon Corporation. On March 1, 2018, W.A. Chester, L.L.C. was acquired by Bernhard Capital Partners Management, LP and as a result of this, its California subsidiary W.A. Chester Corporation is now known as W.A. Chester America, L.L.C.